The All-Inclusive Conference Initiated by Peoples Alliance for Freedom and Democracy (PAFD)
Press Release, February 25, 2018
We the following political organisations:– Afar Liberation Front, Gmbella Regional Movement, Gambella Nilotes United Movement, Oromo Parliamentarian Council, Shekacho Peoples Movement for Democracy and Social Justice, Tatek Ethiopia for Freedom, Democracy and Unity for Ethiopia, Member Organizations of PAFD (Gambella Peoples Liberation Movement, Sidama National Liberation Front, Oromo Liberation Front, Ogaden National Liberation Front and Benishangul Peoples Liberation Movement); held a conference on current crisis in Ethiopia from 24 to 25 February 2018 and resolved on the following key aspects after thoroughly discussing the gravity of the conditions unfolding in Ethiopia.
The participants of the conference recognize the enormity of the situation in Ethiopia and are obliged to unite unconditionally to work together to end the ongoing suffering of the people in Ethiopia under the brutal rule of the TPLF/EPRDF.
Furthermore, at the end of the two days conference, the participants unanimously agreed and established a joint working group of high level political officials from various political organisations to lead its collective activities, based on the agreed upon action plan, until the peoples of Ethiopia can be free from the TPLF/EPRDF brutal system.
Therefore, the conference resolutely deliberated on the following key aspects to:
- Unconditionally work together with determination and dedication,
- Build trust, confidence, cooperation fraternal relationship.
- Reach out to all the other political organisations and stakeholders to establish a strong united force against the TPLF/EPDRF regime.
- Identify and have on board the other political organisations to move together.
- Work in unison to establish all-inclusive transitional post-TPLF/EPRDF government in Ethiopia.
- Have a non-discriminatory legislative framework against nations and peoples in Ethiopia based on categories such as their numbers, identity, culture, religion, gender, and colour.
- Unconditionally recognise and support the anti-TPLF/EPRDF movement of the youth and people in Ethiopia;
- Honour the selfless sacrifices of the Oromo youth movement (Qeerroo Bilisummaa Oromoo), Amhara Fano, Ogaden Somali and the rest the peoples for freedom and democracy in Ethiopia.
- To facilitate and setting-up an all-inclusive transitional Conference in Ethiopia.
- Unconditionally respect and uphold all fundamental human rights including individual, collective and the rights to self-determination.
- Build the necessary institutions for the transitional framework in Ethiopian
- Build non-partisan electoral board and other democratic institutions in Ethiopia.
- Create an independent truth and reconciliation commission in Ethiopia.
- We honor and respect the souls of all peoples murdered by the TPLF/EPRDF’s barbaric regime in the past 27 years in Ethiopia whilst seeking justice.
Therefore, we categorically condemn the arbitrary mass arrest, torture, wanton killing of civilians in all part of the country, instigating conflicts between various ethnic nations and peoples as means of governance, exploitation of the peoples and their economy in various forms by impoverishing citizens, and the ongoing state of emergency imposed by the TPLF/EPRDF regime with sole purpose of sustaining its barbaric rule.
We also call upon federal army and security forces to stop the killing of civilians and unite with people to fight the undemocratic and brutal regime in power.
We call upon all stakeholders, political organisations, civic organisations, including academics, religious groups to unconditionally unite at this critical time to rescue the people in Ethiopian from calamity awaiting to unfold.
We call upon all the international community, politicians of Western countries, human rights organisations and the entire international community to stand with the people in Ethiopia whilst striding towards freeing of all peoples from TPLF/EPRDF’s state-terrorism!
February 24 to 25, 2018